Seperate Int-District Permit from STU
** This may be more approachable as a proposal for the the Next-Gen system design **
Currently the Int-District permits are stored on the Demographics record.
One of the side effects of the permit being stored on the STU, is that it gets copied during student transfer. This likely is not what is desired generally.
Another challenge with the current Int-District design on the STU table is the use of the IT, ITE (current year) and NIT (next year) fields. These have to maintained every year which can be labor intensive.
It can be difficult to know if a permit on a STU record is appropriate/valid OR simply copied from a previous school.
I propose that the Int-District permit information is pulled out of the STU record and is placed into a separate history table.
PermitCode : The Permit codes (COD table?) would need to be able to flag the permit as Inter/Intra OR Both
Having the permit information in a history table provides a number of advantages.
- No longer inappropriately copied during student transfer
- Provides a full permit history for the student
- No longer requires the Next Year setup every year for continuing permits
- Allows for easier District level control, while still allowing for (optional) school level permit entry
- Could potentially allow for the removal of the Int-District permit information from the Attendance Enrollment (which currently supports the date based reporting requirements)
Hello! Thank you for this idea. We are making plans to include it in the Aeries NextGen system.
Chris Holloway commented
Great! This really is a pain point for us. Thanks.